Wednesday 13 March 2013

The Fine Poets of Conygar Tower



When you say it was a cold day, do you mean, 30 mph winds, and snow in the air?! Well that's what they braved, the young poets of Dunster First, out there word harvesting despite the icy chill and risk of exposure. But rather than rant on about the weather and the sterling little champions pictured above, I think I will just post some of their poetry instead.

It was a great day, many thanks to all.


The trees are as squeaky as the squirrels

On my adventure to the evil black tower with a floating eye above to guard the great king below.
Who ever tries to see the king face to face must have their sons taken away, and their bodies burnt down to only one ash each.

I could hear grass waving below my feet and the small tall birds above in the air singing all around me. And when they stopped I scarced hearing the air whispering and then, just then, I stumbled across Conygar Tower



There was a rookery that belonged to a greenie, bluely, blackie Crow
 that squawked as you walked by,
it seemed like they were sitting next to you,
 when they were actually up in the sky.

The wind was like a werewolf, howl, howl it felt like frosted snow.


Whilst I charged through Conygar Woods,
I started to puff like a man carrying goods,
The stones clanked and the rough grass snapped
Whilst on the edge of the path that nettles sapped

Alex started charging round and round,
As though he was a bull with his tail bound,
Mrs Grey said 'stop running but he couldn't stop,
He tripped on a tree root and fell down . Plop!

Mr Jelley pointed out a gnarled old tree,
For it was near the path and we could all see,
It had gnarled old branches and with hardly any leaves,
and in our toes we all got the peeves.

We carried on till we reached the crumbling tower,
When all of a sudden we had a sparkling snow shower,
Anya tried to eat the shining snow,
the wind came over and my scarf was caught in the blow.

Some extracts from different pupils, others (like the last one) in their entirety. I have a whole heep of these from yesterday and who knows what gems lie inside. There are two more schools to do Porlock and Nether Stowey, and when their word harvesting is complete I will be turning them into QR codes, laser cutting them into slate and then putting back into the landscape from which they were inspired. But that's for a later blog.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Note: only a member of this blog may post a comment.